Freelancing – A career or an option
Who is Freelancer:
Any person who sells work or services by the hour, day, job etc., rather than working on a regular salary basis for one employer. It means a person who works for different organizations & not for a single organization.
Following are prominent properties of a freelancer or why people opt for freelancing:
Freelancing is a lucrative career in coming 2020 with No Boss, No Rules and physical presence from anywhere at any time with handsome perks & a peace of mind. However, a trusty & pertinent platform is equally significant for any freelancer to deliver their services & get paid on time. Likewise, People Per Hour gave me an exposure as a freelancer and still enhancing my unexplored skills.
Furthermore, to establish freelancing as a long term career you must know your brand – How people should know you, recognize you. And to create so, you need to establish your Unique Value Proposition, develop your brand creative elements and a timely & disciplined communication with your clients.
While above few factors seems easy to sound but difficult to imbibe however once you have, you can kick start your successful career as a freelancer rather as an option.
A very well said by Arnold J. Toynber “The Supreme accomplishment is to blur the line between work & play”. It means that sitting at home watching Netflix & still earning so you have actually blurred the line – this accomplishment can be achieved by Freelancing career.
As per the Freelance Industry Report, 20% freelancers listed their profession as designer. Wordsmiths divided in categories: writer (18%), editor/copy editor (10%) and copywriter (10%). Next in the list were translator (8%), web developer (4.5%) and marketing professional (4%).
Below are some startling facts about Freelancing but it is proven:
Job Profile under Freelancing:
- Social media marketing: SMM is a form of Internet marketing which involves manufacturing & sharing content on social media in order to market your brand. It also includes activities like posting text & image, video updation that drives engagement via paid as well as organic advertising.
There are several types of Social Media Platforms:
- Social Networking : Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+
- Micro blogging : Twitter, Tumblr
- Photo Sharing : Instagram, Snap chat, Pinterest
- Video Sharing : YouTube, Facebook,
Since everyone is using these marketing tools in their day-to-day life very often. Hence, popularity & growth using Social Media Marketing tools is quite confirmed & established however decision is yours as which tool is opt for your business:
- Blogging: A blog (shortening of “weblog“) is an online web-based journal displaying information in reverse chronological order, with latest posts appearing first. It is a mode of sharing your views / information relevant for others.To kick start with this profile, you should have a laptop / android phone, passion for writing & habit of capturing via pics or videos.
Below facts will might give you an idea about the popularity of Blogging around the world. Blogging can be about anything which you think is of worth sharing with others. It can be:
- Entertainment etc…
- Ghost writing: They are writers for hire who take money but none of the credit for the work produced. The original author is hiring the ghost as a freelancer writer to produce copy writer work for a fee. There are similar jobs such as writing ad or business copy or providing new or re-written material for personal as well as professional use.
- Graphic designing: It includes to create visual concepts using computer software by hand, to communicate to ideas that inspire, inform & captivate consumers. Common uses of graphic design includes corporate design (logos & branding) editorial design (magazine, newspaper & books) Web design & product packaging.
- SEO Services: Search engine optimization focuses to increase the amount of visitors to a website by obtaining high ranking in search result page of search engine. Services includes – Link building services, SEO audits, SEO consultants, SEO strategy, keyword research, SEO website design & many more.
Best freelancing network:
- Toptal: The most premium freelancer that I’ve found. They are highly talented & usually paid higher than other freelancing sites. This platform connects businesses with software engineers, designers and business consultants globally. URL – Toptal
- Freelancer: This is also one of the biggest player and has grown into world’s biggest outsourcing destination. It has recently acquired v-worker & script lance & gradually becoming bigger than ever. It is easy to sign up as freelancer or employer & start earning or selling. URL – Freelancer
- Up work: Up work is the beast in freelancing & one of my favorite. ODesk & Elance joined hands and merged to form Up Work.com in middle of 2015 to give a cut throat competition to freelancer.com. I’ve myself registered as a seller on Upwork.com since they provide high quality services with a minimal amount of effort. URL – Up work
- People per Hour (PPH): This is a UK based company which follows a system pretty similar to other freelancing sites. Here you will find both online as well as on-site freelancing gigs. Jobs are either fixed price or hourly type. I’ve joined here as well & doing very well. Moreover, the concept of hourly is very appealing for sellers to showcase their skills. URL – PPH
It takes ton of bravery to make a decision whether or not one would love to try & do freelancing as there are no free lunches & freelancing isn’t solely FREE & FUN.
Thus, it doesn’t matter if you are a contract blogger, freelance web-designer or content writer: there are some traits that to be in you to be successful career in Freelancing:
- Self – Discipline
- Self – Motivation
- Dealing with Clients
- Future Planning
- Build your Portfolio
Given above qualities, it doesn’t mean that you can’t be a roaring freelancer or freelancing isn’t your cup of cake. However, these are basic factors which one should have to be competitive & effective. And these factors are often improved step by step continuous efforts & hard work.